configure does not find BLKGETSIZE64 + HD partitions not found

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sat Jan 22 15:42:47 PST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 18:14 +0100, Frederik Himpe wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:47:35 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 14:17 +0100, Frederik Himpe wrote:
> >> When I run the configure script of hal 0.4.6, I get this error:
> >>
> >> checking for BLKGETSIZE64... no
> >> configure: error: BLKGETSIZE64 is not defined
> >
> > See if you can get a recent version of glibc-kernel-headers for your
> > system.
>
> There is this is my glibc rpm changelog:
>
> * vr jan 21 2005 Gwenole Beauchesne <gbeauchesne at mandrakesoft.com> 2.3.4-2mdk
>
> - update to 2.6.10 kernel headers
> - add memory clobbers in asm-i386 syscalls as arguments may be
>   pointers to modifiable memory and values need to be reloaded
>   (e.g. _llseek() in util-linux)
>
> Which version would I need?

Looks good so far. What does:
  [kay at pim udev.kay]$ find /usr/include/ -name "*.h" -print |xargs grep BLKGETSIZE64
  /usr/include/linux/fs.h:#define BLKGETSIZE64 _IOR(0x12,114,size_t)
  /usr/include/sys/mount.h:#define BLKGETSIZE64 _IOR(0x12,114,size_t) /* return device size.  */

print on your box?

> >> With hal 0.4.5, I also have the problem that my hard disk partitions are
> >> not found. Also, all information for the hard drives (such as vendor and
> >> model) is defined as "Unknown". I think this is related to the kernel I'm
> >> running, as IIRC this was working with 2.6.8 Mandrakelinux compiled
> >> kernel. I've put the output of lshal on
> >> http://users.telenet.be/fhimpe/hal/lshal.txt
> >> and verbose output of hald on
> >> http://users.telenet.be/fhimpe/hal/hal-verbose.txt
> >

> > Please see if:
> >   udevinfo -q all -p /block/hda
>
> # udevinfo -q all -p /block/hda
> device not found in database
>
> > prints something taht makes sense. If not, run:
> >   udevstart
>
> Does not seem to make a difference (I already run udev btw).
>
> > and look again. If you still get no meaningful output, try
> > to remove any .udev* file in /dev.
>
> There's only a .udevdb directory. Moving it and running udestart does not
> change anything... Weird...

What does:
  ls -l /sys/block/hda/*

print?