A minor problem w/ access to my flash drive

Alexey Morozov alex-hp at idisys.iae.nsk.su
Sun Jan 23 08:34:51 PST 2005

Hello.

I recently installed hal (starting from version 0.4.1, 0.4.6 currently)
and noticed a minor, well, problem w/ it.

When I plug in my USB flash drive (A-Data USB Disk 2.0, VendorId 0d7d,
ProdId 1300), its led light shines till I pull it out or kill hald. All
the rest: creation of the mountpoint (/media/usbdisk), inserting
appropriate record into fstab etc etc, seems to be Ok. I wonder if that
light means that hald continuously assesses the drive or maybe smth else.

Probably this behaviour is device-dependent, because I can say for sure
that activity led of the usb multi-cardreader (4-in-1, Vendor=05e3
ProdID=0760) becomes dim after several seconds of initial card detection
(I tested it w/ an SD card).

What should I check to fix the issue? Probably it's harmless anyway, but
when the led shines regardless real activity on the device, it's hard to
say when e.g. write operations are finished and it's safe to pull out
the device.

I'd also like to know how to remove an option for the device, if it was
[erroneously] set by a previously processed .fdi? I can see only "merge"
and "append" instructions, not "replace" or "delete". As the result I
have to make the following trick in the
/usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/vfat-charset.fdi:

<merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=utf8"
type="bool">false</merge>
<merge key="volume.policy.mount_option.iocharset=koi8-r"
type="bool">true</merge>

to replace iocharset utf8 w/ koi8-r in the device record in fstab.
Generally it's nothing wrong w/ such a trick, but it leaves unneeded and
unused keys in device properties...