Belkin 8-in-1

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jan 25 07:49:36 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 13:44 +0000, Bob Billing wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Oh, I realize I might have misunderstood you; are the mount points
> > distinct, e.g. are they
> >
> >  /media/usbdisk
> >  /media/usbdisk1
> >  /media/usbdisk2
> >  /media/usbdisk3
>
> Yes, that's what's happening, and it's what I don't want to happen. The
> problem is that if I have both the camera and the Belkin reader plugged
> in there's no quick way of having a script pick up one or the other
> selectively. or even pick the correct slot on the reader.

The UI should tell the difference but, yeah, you are still screwed if
you want a simple script - except if you use Python; then it should be
pretty easy to find what you need.

> However I'm coming to suspect that what is happening is what's supposed
> to happen, even if it doesn't fit with my way of working. With the old
> updfstab mechanism a camera was called a camera, not a usbdisk, which
> for me was more convenient.
>
> For the moment it might be better not to call this a bug but a
> preference, and I'll leave my userpolicy files as they are.

Well, in my view it's a bug to depend on the mount point name (note that
the UI in FC3 almost doesn't do that), but that is another discussion
that is out of scope for this mailing list :-)

Note that if the filesystems you use has a label, that will be used
instead (my CF card from my Canon digicam is labeled CANON_DC).

For hal 0.6.x I plan to tweak the default mount point names a bit
more to satisfy as many people as possible. But it's difficult, some
people like the UUID in the mount point, some people hate them.. :-)

I'm also going to merge device information files to recognize USB
Mass Storage cameras.

> What worries me about calling everything a usbdisk is that it would make
> it just too easy to copy a file in the wrong direction between two
> volumes and overwrite a wanted file.
>
> I've sent the dump to you by private e-mail to save bandwidth on the group.

What you want to do, is exactly to use a device information file to
say what kind of device you have; for adjusting the UI you also
want to merge

  storage.drive_type = compact_flash
  storage.drive_type = memory_stick
  storage.drive_type = smart_media
  storage.drive_type = sd_mmc

as appropriate to ensure that the right icons are displayed if you
use a file manager with HAL support (such as Nautilus in GNOME 2.8
or Konqueror in KDE CVS).

David