A minor problem w/ access to my flash drive

Alexey Morozov alex-hp at idisys.iae.nsk.su
Tue Jan 25 08:20:01 PST 2005

David Zeuthen пишет:

>Well, the first law states that all hardware is fundamentally
>broken; some are more broken than other - does it work, btw?

Yes, it does ;-)

>>For my good old flash drive? I guess you're kidding ;-)
>>

>I too have a CF reader that disconnects when you remove the media;

I really don't talk about card readers and other 'fashionable' stuff. I
guess there should ways to automatically distinquish between card
readers and 'plain flash drives'. Am I wrong?
I do see that my card reader and flash look differently in
hal-device-manager (different keys, different values) but I'm not sure
if my local hardware can be considered representational, 'typical' one

>Sure, in that case it's not necessary to poll the device at all
>so I guess an .fdi file like the one Pozsar wrote could be shipped
>with HAL - do you have one handy for your device? We need such
>.fdi files because we cannot infer this directly from the hardware
>AFAIK.

Yes, I wrote one, but w/ exception that hald now doesn't try to detect
volume fstype, so no fs-specific options are applied... Could you
suggest smth?

>Oh yeah; the inifinite loops of hotplug events; note that HAL does
>handle those devices somewhat nicely - it will get even better with
>the new code I'm refactoring on HEAD.

Excellent!

>>pulled out a mounted diskette. But actually last, well, ~3-4 years linux
>>removable devices 'do things right' for me, and this is quite handy :-).
>>

>Sure, but there is still potential data loss.

Probably. But, well, unlikely. I use(d) supermount-ng which forces
buffer flush on closing corresponding file handle. There're some 'data
throughput' penalties (comparing w/ traditional 'mount..; cp...; umount'
scheme) but actually it's worth to wait a bit but do nothing rather than
'do everything by hands, but in shortest time'. A typical human is a
lazy being :-)

>The UI interaction designers at Red Hat I've spoken with also suggests not to pester
>the user with modal dialogs - some day we can use the notification bubbles for this; maybe..

Actually Windows XP handles this, well, smoothly enough (from end-luser
point of view). But I lost data w/ it once or twice :-). So it's not an
ideal :-)

>but, hey, no one is forcing you to use broken programs :-)

:-))