A minor problem w/ access to my flash drive

Pozsar Balazs pozsy at uhulinux.hu
Tue Jan 25 14:08:18 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:20:01PM +0600, Alexey Morozov wrote:
> I really don't talk about card readers and other 'fashionable' stuff. I
> guess there should ways to automatically distinquish between card
> readers and 'plain flash drives'. Am I wrong?

Apart from usb id database, there no way to distinguish unfortunately :(

> Yes, I wrote one, but w/ exception that hald now doesn't try to detect
> volume fstype, so no fs-specific options are applied... Could you
> suggest smth?

I think the iocharset=utf8 vfat mount option should be a kernel mount
option, and not hal should provide it.

Look at the .fdi files, I suppose it is possible to merge the filesystem
attributes also which should work well for your own case.

> Probably. But, well, unlikely. I use(d) supermount-ng which forces
> buffer flush on closing corresponding file handle. There're some 'data
> throughput' penalties (comparing w/ traditional 'mount..; cp...; umount'
> scheme) but actually it's worth to wait a bit but do nothing rather than
> 'do everything by hands, but in shortest time'. A typical human is a
> lazy being :-)

I most definitely agree.

--
pozsy