About Partition Information

Gustavo Barbieri barbieri at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:51:57 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm coding some classes to easy the use of HAL on my application, I
call the project PyHAL (http://ltc08.ic.unicamp.br/svn/pyhal/trunk/),
but I lack some information:

1) Partition start: this information is available in
/sys/block/hd?/hd??/start, but not in HAL, why not? Would you add it?

2) Extended partition size: sysfs and hal both report 2 blocks each
(1024), the space taken by the extended partition (that used to hold
the new partition table), but I need to know the space this partition
takes on the disc (as reported by fdisk/sfdisk).   Does anyone know
how to get this information? Would you add it to hal?

3) Partitions inside an extended partition: there is no way to know
the extended partition that is parent of another. Again, there is any
way to get this information (with or without hal)?

I offer myself to code those things, but I need some clues on how to
get data for items 2 and 3.

Thanks,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri