platform, pnp and mmc bus

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Jan 30 08:18:33 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 12:21 +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Most laptops today include a card reader of some sort. In most cases
> these are for SD/MMC cards. For some reason they rarely choose to put in
> a card reader with an USB interface or something similar (i.e.
> standardised). Instead the put in a controller which gives direct access
> to the SD/MMC bus. Hardware detected on this bus (i.e. the memory cards)
> are given their own device nodes in linux and put under /sys/bus/mmc the
> same way all hardware is.

Ah, interesting. Right. I've seen laptops with both USB and IDE variants
but not something like that. Seems like it's something hal should
support.

<snip>

> My point was that PNP isn't a physical bus. The devices located on what
> linux calls the PNP bus might be physically connected to ISA, LPC or
> something else. I figured that the point of HAL was to isolate
> applications from how the kernel is designed.  Sorting devices by
> physical connection seemed to be the logical choice then.

Right; I think we can safely put just use info.bus=pnp since that is
how the kernel groups such devices. So, when all drivers are loaded
do you get an entry in /sys/block? Does it have a device link that
points to the device in /sys/devices?

Thanks,
David