HAL virtualization (was Re: dbus: api or implementation detail)

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 13 19:28:06 PDT 2005

> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable, which the
> apps have to set - which breaks R1, because all current applications use
> the system bus.
>
> If there was a library on top of hald, that library would do token ->
> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS mapping transparently, say in libhal_ctx_init().

I've missed the fact that DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set at login time,
so there's no need for the apps to set it. But they would need to set
D-BUS type SESSION instead of SYSTEM, so the issue remains.

In absense of an ideal solution, I suppose we could relax R1 and allow a
simple code change in applications: if a token is present, use SESSION
dbus type; otherwise use SYSTEM...

-Artem.