HAL virtualization (was Re: dbus: api or implementation detail)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jul 13 20:02:18 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:28 -0700, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
> > DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS variable, which the
> > apps have to set - which breaks R1, because all current applications use
> > the system bus.
> >
> > If there was a library on top of hald, that library would do token ->
> > DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS mapping transparently, say in libhal_ctx_init().
>
> I've missed the fact that DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set at login time,
> so there's no need for the apps to set it. But they would need to set
> D-BUS type SESSION instead of SYSTEM, so the issue remains.

Well, that would imply that you're running separate copies of hald/dbus
daemons which may not be what you want. Btw, if you want this I suppose
chroot's for each session would work equally well since for each session
you would have a system bus daemon listening at the UNIX domain socket
at the well-know address /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket.

Of course, other constraints of your setup may not allow chroot's, I
don't know, however in that case I would just patch libdbus so
dbus_bus_get (DBUS_BUS_SYSTEM, &error) connects to the right socket.

Cheers,
David