HAL 0.5.x & networking

Sean Meiners sean.meiners at linspireinc.com
Wed Jun 8 07:20:56 PDT 2005

I've been investigating HAL and decided to look at the latest release
(0.5.2) and noticed it no longer seems to monitor network devices as
the 0.4.x series did.  Specifically, no events were generated when
the network cable was unplugged, or the interface was brought up or
down.  I was wondering if this was intentionally removed?  Or if it's
just something that hadn't been ported to the new architecture yet?
I'm asking mostly to prevent duplication of effort since I was
planning on writing an addon for it today since I need it for part of
a larger project I'm working on to try and make networking on Linux
work as well as it does on Mac (forget Windows).

--Sean Meiners

PS: HAL is the best thing I've seen come to Linux since D-BUS =)

"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder,
but when you do, it blows away your whole leg." - Bjarne Stroustrup