HAL 0.5.x & networking

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jun 8 07:27:46 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 07:20 -0700, Sean Meiners wrote:
> I've been investigating HAL and decided to look at the latest release
> (0.5.2) and noticed it no longer seems to monitor network devices as
> the 0.4.x series did.  Specifically, no events were generated when
> the network cable was unplugged, or the interface was brought up or
> down.  I was wondering if this was intentionally removed?

It was intentionally removed - too many bad drivers caused the system to
lock up and it was just painful to support. The thinking was that it's
equally easy for applications using HAL to do themselves. You should
still get a HAL event when the interface is brought up and down but I'm
not sure how useful that is..

> Or if it's
> just something that hadn't been ported to the new architecture yet?
> I'm asking mostly to prevent duplication of effort since I was
> planning on writing an addon for it today since I need it for part of
> a larger project I'm working on to try and make networking on Linux
> work as well as it does on Mac (forget Windows).

That's exactly what NetworkManager

 http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/

is about - have you seen it? There's really a lot of gotchas that Dan
Williams had to deal with along the way but it's coming along rather
nicely (a few months back VPN support was added) - we're always looking
for more hackers (I think Dan got a TODO list) :-)

Cheers,
David