HAL 0.5.x & networking

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Jun 8 17:15:05 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 12:00:58PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 08:48 -0700, Sean Meiners wrote:
> > Ah, that must be it.  I'm using udev 056, but /sbin/hotplug appears
> > to be the current multiplexor, I'll have to figure out who made that
> > decision for me.  Thanks for the tip.
>
> Probably the kernel - it sets /sbin/hotplug by default. In Fedora we
> change that to /sbin/udevsend in rc.sysinit very early in the boot
> process. I think some distros even turns it off by now and just relies
> udevd catching kevents on the netlink socket (which is much much
> efficient than forking a user space process for each and every hotplug
> event).

I'm currently preparing a new udev for the next SUSE version. If we
get it successful running, something like this will appear upstream:
  http://ehlo.org/~kay/gitweb.cgi?p=linux/hotplug/udev-kay.git;a=summary

It gets rid of all /etc/hotplug.d/, /etc/dev.d/, /sbin/hotplug. It
manages the complete hotplug event and external notifiers are called
by fine-grained rules instead of scripts that need to check if they
are called for the right device.

The old behavior can still be emulated by small binaries provided in
the extras/run_program/ folder.

Events are read from netlink, /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is set to "",
after userspace is ready.

Kay