Hal 0.5.0

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 24 07:59:46 PST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 09:28 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:
> David,
>
> > > I've now merged this with a few minor tweaks
> > >
> > >  - fix up property names to be in line with the spec
> > >  - match on USB device, not USB interfaces
> > >  - added an entry in the .fdi file for the Logitech Cordless desktop
> Great! I just did not quite get - what's the principal difference here
> between USB interface and USB device?

A "USB interface" represents a single functional entity of a "USB
device" - e.g. if the USB device has several functions it normally
exports several USB interfaces [1]. Specifically, the Logitech cordless
desktop I tested, is a single USB device with two USB HID interfaces;
one for the keyboard and one for the mouse.

[1] : it's not entirely true; e.g. 4in1 card readers normally just
expose a single USB Mass Storage interface with 4 LUN's. Also some USB
devices have a "built-in" USB hub exposing multiple USB devices, some of
them having multiple USB interfaces :-).

> > > As visible on the screenshot this device is a composite devices with two
> > > interfaces; one for the keyboard and one for the mouse. Now, is there
> > > any way to tweak the CSR reading code such that we can extract it per
> > > interface; IOW, are there any links to the CSR spec? :-)
> :(( Unfortunately - no. I used some code from lmctl utility. I will
> try to get docs though...

Ok, OK, I just found this site

 http://www.bedroomlan.org/~alexios/coding_lmctl.html

but it doesn't mentioned USB devices with multiple interfaces :-)

Cheers,
David