[patch] addon-hid-ups.c : battery.present is mandatory for HAL spec

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Sun May 8 13:20:58 PDT 2005

Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Even though I've never seen a UPS capable of hot-swapping the batteries,
> I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. :)
> Could be useful on high-reliability systems.

All the rack-mount UPS units I have ever seen support this feature.
There is no need for special cases for this or anything, the batteries
don't need "unlocking" or anything, it's handled just like laptop batteries.

> As for the usefulness of an UPS without battery. They are usually pretty
> good filters for line noise. But you normally keep the batteries in them
> even if they're crappy in those cases.

Even the deadest sealed-lead-acid cells in a UPS unit will hold the
power for at least 2 seconds, which is great for fancy power-conditioning.

Either way, no special handling is required.

--Pat