[patch] addon-hid-ups.c : battery.present is mandatory for HAL spec

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun May 8 13:53:21 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 16:20 -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > Even though I've never seen a UPS capable of hot-swapping the batteries,
> > I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. :)
> > Could be useful on high-reliability systems.
>
> All the rack-mount UPS units I have ever seen support this feature.

Ohh, didn't know that. Sorry.

> There is no need for special cases for this or anything, the batteries
> don't need "unlocking" or anything, it's handled just like laptop batteries.

What's the best way to enforce this for UPS's that don't report "I'm
present?"

> Even the deadest sealed-lead-acid cells in a UPS unit will hold the
> power for at least 2 seconds, which is great for fancy power-conditioning.

I know, my battery lasts about 40 seconds under full load - but I've
seldom had a power cut greater than 1-2 seconds living in the UK.

> Either way, no special handling is required.

Also, I've noticed that UPS time to empty is measured in seconds on my
UPS (and thus shows up as hours on GNOME Power Manager" as no conversion
to minutes is done.
Is this my rubbish UPS, or is this a bug in HAL?

Thanks,

Richard.