[patch] addon-hid-ups.c : battery.present is mandatory for HAL spec

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Sun May 8 14:52:17 PDT 2005

Richard Hughes wrote:
>>There is no need for special cases for this or anything, the batteries
>>don't need "unlocking" or anything, it's handled just like laptop batteries.
>
> What's the best way to enforce this for UPS's that don't report "I'm
> present?"

How do UPSs that don't report presence currently work? I was simply
pointing out that battery management is typically handled by the UPS,
much like it would be with APM or ACPI.

>>Even the deadest sealed-lead-acid cells in a UPS unit will hold the
>>power for at least 2 seconds, which is great for fancy power-conditioning.
>
> I know, my battery lasts about 40 seconds under full load - but I've
> seldom had a power cut greater than 1-2 seconds living in the UK.

Lucky. Hours over here.

> Also, I've noticed that UPS time to empty is measured in seconds on my
> UPS (and thus shows up as hours on GNOME Power Manager" as no conversion
> to minutes is done.
> Is this my rubbish UPS, or is this a bug in HAL?

I can't comment on this, since I don't know the protocols. But it would
be a major hitch if some UPSs using the same protocol reported times in
different units.

--Pat