USB key troubles

Carlo J. Calica ccalica at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 16:33:12 PDT 2005

Vlaaad wrote:

> Hello people !
>
> I'm trying to get gnome-volume-manager 1.5.1 working fully for the
> distro I contribute to (Source Mage). All seems to work except some
> troubles with USB keys and I think hald is guilty, or at least it is not
> well configured on my box. I spent hours and hours and I didn't manage
> to solve it, I so request some help if someone has some extra free
> time...

Hi,

I'm doing the same for a distro I contribute to (GoboLinux).  Udev doesn't
automatically call /etc/dev.d or /etc/hotplug.d.  You need to add some
rules similar to this:

calica at office ~]cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-hotplugd.rules
# do not call hotplug.d and dev.d for "drivers" and "module" events
SUBSYSTEM=="drivers",  OPTIONS="last_rule"
SUBSYSTEM=="module",   OPTIONS="last_rule"

# compatibility support for the obsolete hotplug.d and dev.d directories
ENV{UDEVD_EVENT}=="1",  RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_hotplugd"
RUN+="/sbin/udev_run_devd"

calica at office ~]

Also, keep in mind udev is now using a netlink socket rather
than /sbin/hotplug to listen to events.  That means you should remove udev
from /etc/hotplug.d/default