How to mount/umount partitions under hal

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 7 20:07:30 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 10:52:55AM +0800, yaomaidongxi-33 at yahoo.com.cn wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> 'Coz hal takes charge of file: /etc/fstab via fstab-sync, I can't mount/umount
> a partition on my harddisk directly by adding/removing relavant lines in fstab.
> Now I create a new partition on a fixed harddisk and wanna mount it to a
> mount-point(say, /mnt/new_mount).

> How do I let hal know that a new partition has been created and shoud mount it
> to /mnt/new_mount? Also I want some partitions mounted only when I need them.
> How do I let hal know not to mount them automatically?
> I think it is a common question (How can I do mount/umount job mannually together
> with hal when hal takes charge of everything)but I cannot find it in hal's faq.

HAL does not mount a volume. That's the job of some other piece of
software running on the system listening to HAL events. It dependend on
your distribution and the desktop environment you use how this is
implemented.
HAL may provide hints for the "mount daemons" if a volume should be
handled or not. These hits can be merged into the HAL device with fdi
files, but these also depends on the setup you actually use.

Kay