hal-system-power-* scripts

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:05:31 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 11:07 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay :-),

No problem.

> On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:39 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > After talking lots with wrobell (PLD Linux), we've come to the
> > conclusion that the current "filter by distro" is broken, as only a few
> > distros work, and may have different options installed.
> >
> > We've come up with perhaps the next version of scripts:
> >
> > Feedback welcome.
>
> I think it may be easier if you use one or two paragraphs to explain
> what is broken and what the new scripts does to fix it. I'm all for
> improving stuff btw, but just reading a new script makes it somewhat
> difficult :-)

Sure, no problem. The problem I am trying to address is:

At the moment, we filter the Hibernate script action per-distro, i.e.
Suse wants to use PowerSave, and Fedora wants to use pm-hibernate. This
limits the other distros that might want to use powersave (e.g. gentoo)
or other solutions, e.g. hibernate2.

What I am suggesting, is rather than filter by distro, filter by
installed tool. i.e. if the user has PowerSave installed, use that. If
the user has hibernate2 installed, use that, and so on until we just get
down dirty and do the hibernate ourselves for distros with no such
helper scripts installed.

I've got many bug-reports from users of other distros (ubuntu for
example) that have suspend2 support added, but they have to change the
hal-system-* script to get things working. This isn't cool.

With my suggestion, the user has to edit no files, and all just works.

What say you?

Richard.