hal-system-power-* scripts

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Sep 20 08:34:05 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 23:05 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> At the moment, we filter the Hibernate script action per-distro, i.e.
> Suse wants to use PowerSave, and Fedora wants to use pm-hibernate. This
> limits the other distros that might want to use powersave (e.g. gentoo)
> or other solutions, e.g. hibernate2.
>
> What I am suggesting, is rather than filter by distro, filter by
> installed tool. i.e. if the user has PowerSave installed, use that. If
> the user has hibernate2 installed, use that, and so on until we just get
> down dirty and do the hibernate ourselves for distros with no such
> helper scripts installed.
>
> I've got many bug-reports from users of other distros (ubuntu for
> example) that have suspend2 support added, but they have to change the
> hal-system-* script to get things working. This isn't cool.
>
> With my suggestion, the user has to edit no files, and all just works.

No, it just wont work. Some distros, call them X and Y, may have
multiple tools installed, say A and B, and on distro X only A is known
to work and on distro Y only B is known to work. Hence, we need to
filter by distro before we filter on tool.

I don't see a problem that each distro filter on tools separately
though.

Cheers,
David