LaptopMode

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 15:14:38 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 11:49 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 21:27 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> > Yes, but I don't understand, why you would implement this in HAL. Why do we
> > need this e.g. on a desktop system or on a server (e.g. s390/s390x).
>
> Big-iron stuff like this traditionally have bunch of other software
> installed too that doesn't make sense for it. This is fine as long as
> it's not used.

See my other email...

> > This is the problem. If you implement this in HAL, it's IMO a little
> > maintainance nightmare. On one site you need this only on laptops (and not
> > all user and distibutions want this) on the other you must permanently check
> > for each new kernel if there is something changed in the kernel parameter.
>
> How different distros implement this is up to each distro.. The only
> thing that the SetPowerSave() does it to call a script that configures
> the system to operate in one of two modes:
>
>  - high-performance while being connected to AC
>
>  - low-power operation while running on battery source

Agreed.

> This is the current abstraction we got. Maybe the abstraction needs
> improvement (maybe it needs to take more arguments and have more
> options? I don't think so, but...)

KISS :-)

>  and we'll just do that.
> Realistically, I think we got the exact right abstraction - we don't
> really want to provide more options to the desktop-level software as I
> see it but I could be wrong.

No I agree with you now, setting individual parameters on each device is
too fine grained.

> Ideally all the distros and operating systems should rally around a
> common set of userspace bits that is called when SetPowerSave() is
> invoked but I'm not holding my breath for that. But what we can do here,
> and lots of people from different distros are on this list, is at least
> to encourage distros to become more similar.

Okay, what about putting the echo "foo" > /proc/bar stuff into the
fedora script pm-lowpower mode (I can bugzilla this against pmtools) and
the other distros can either a) use this filename, or b) use thier own
solution and we can test for it the same way we test for hibernation
tools.

Or we can do the echo "foo" > /proc/bar stuff in HAL.

Your call.

Richard.