LCD brightness capability question

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:47:32 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-18 at 11:15 +0200, Jan Jockusch wrote:
> Hello Richard,
>
> >Can you try the attached patch please. It was created using HEAD, but
> >should apply to 0.5.7 cleanly.
> >

> It does. Even overlaying it with the Debian specific patches is no
> problem (a few lines of offset, that's it).
>
> >If it's successful then things should just work, and the laptop_panel
> >capability should be seen in hal-device-manager and gnome-power-manager.
> >

> This is too good to be true. Laptop brightness control works like a
> charm now in gnome-power-control. You're really fast! Thanks a lot! Feel
> free to commit the patch ;-)

David, good to commit?

> Completely unrelated question (or is it?):

Not really :-)

> Is the integration of "multimedia buttons" any issue in HAL? They are
> quite important on tablet PCs (cursor keys and stuff like "Enter",
> "Esc", etc.) and the hardware implementation is always different (in my
> case, it seems the SMBus is involved, but I'm not really sure). If so,
> is there anything I can do to spy out my system so it can be supported?

Depends what they emit from the kernel. My toshiba had to have a special
hal addon written for the special toshiba smbios interface, but most
stuff works out of the box.

> I'm just being curious. This is not a matter of urgency at all. I'm very
> happy with your support already!

Exactly what buttons need supporting? Do you get events for them using
"lshal -m" ?

Richard.