hall and autofs

Ian Kent ikent at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 06:25:16 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 10:45 +0200, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 23:47, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > The problem may not be that we mount the shares, more that we stat() the
> > related mountpoints which causes autofs to remount the share cause, it's
> > accessed. We may need to add logic to HAL to skip such mountpoints if
> > possible. Ian, what is the content of /proc/mounts?
>
> We do something like this already on SUSE. We skip check e.g. NFS mounts
> because this can freeze the hole hal and applications using HAL freeze or
> fail, if you have NFS stale mountpoints in the system and because we never
> provide infos in HAL about NFS mounts (hence, we don't need to stat them).
>
> I attach the patch from SUSE against 0.5.6. If okay, I commit the patch to
> CVS.

I think that's only part of the difficulty.

It's likely needed to skip anything under a filesystem type of "autofs"
because within the autofs filesystem there can be cifs, NFS, bind mounts
or whatever. These can be nested under certain circumstances.

I think the current reported problem is where there is an automount
trigger as an intermediate directory to the mount point being stat()ed.
In this case the kernel module will see the LOOKUP_CONTINUE flag during
the path walk and quite rightly mount the intervening filesystem.

Ian