battery.technology, take 2

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 09:21:28 PDT 2006

2006/8/3, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de>:
> On Thursday 03 August 2006 16:55, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > I don't like this. I think Danny had a patch for cleaning up a lot of
> > this mess so addons, probers etc. can use hald/util.[ch] but it's not in
> > yet. Danny, any idea when this is going to land? I think I already
> > ACK'ed that patch...
>
> I'm also not a fan of one file for one function ;-) I take a look at this and
> how I can integrate the patch in my cleanup patch. I need to rework some
> things you proposed and then I send a new version in the next days.
>
> Btw. I think currently about a utils-pm.c/h or something like that, to move
> _all_ the battery related stuff (functions and objects) to an own file,
> because this stuff is only used by acpi/pmu atm (+ maybe apm in the future)
> and not needed in any other part of HAL than for battery handling.

you should take a look at my mail (Common Power Management...) for the
UPS side, and future power extensions.

That also sounds interesting, considering the evolution on the PM side
("Power Modules", aka acpi / UPS / ... / "whatever future hardware
that provide power or act in the power chain").
As briefly mentioned in my mail, I will work on this huge subject for
the so called "stage 2" of NUT integration.

A small use case to illustrate this:
Imagine your (not so long in the) future house, with some solar panels
(or fuel cell), an UPS that switches the current power source (solar,
battery or standard), [some more domotic thingies] and your linux box,
with HAL, driving the whole with its smart PM rules...

Arnaud