udev and hal

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Mon Aug 14 04:54:43 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 07:02 +0100, samata talera wrote:
> i want to know how does the hald receive data from udev and what data
> does it receive?

Udev receives device events from the kernel does some stuff with the
event, like creating a device node, run tools, and sends the event to
HAL over a socket. HAL creates and listens on a socket, and udev passes
the data to it.

> where is the receiving code? is it in the hald/linux2/osspec.c ?

Yes.

> why am i not able to receive the same data from udev when i deactivate
> my hald and write my own hald. i get problem in bindind socket.

All you need is in hald/linux2/osspec.c.

> one more thing is that i want to know the exact meaning of
> RUN+=socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event
> written in the /udev/ruled.d/85-hal.rules.

That's an undocumented udev feature I added only for HAL to get rid of
an executed binary for every device event we had in the past. It passes
the event as binary data to the abstract namespace socket named in the
RUN key.

Kay