0.5.8 goals and TODO list updated

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Aug 23 07:44:40 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:56 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 17:42 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:37 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > So let's get that tool and list into the hal tree.
> >
> > Any idea of a name or location?
>
> So, thinking a bit more about it.
>
> Perhaps pm-utils should contain the fdi files and just install them into
>
>  /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty
>
> like other third party packages do. Also, the tool should be part of
> pm-utils proper.

OK, I'm open to this, but I do want more justification first.  Why put
it in pm-utils if pm-utils doesn't have anything that uses the files?

I can see an argument for the tool being there (though really, if HAL is
using the .fdi files, why isn't it there instead?), but why put the data
files there?

There's some argument for putting it in a distro-agnostic place, but
there's also quite a bit of variation in what you'll want to do based on
e.g. which distro's kernel you're running (and with what modules).  So
something like the distro's "hwdata" (or equivalent) package probably
makes more sense for the fdi files.

Also, this tool greatly depends on HAL.  Which means putting it in
pm-utils makes a dependency on HAL.  Do we really want that?

>   pm-tweak-suspend-settings-util

{pm,hal}-dump-video-fdi ? ;)

[...]
> Oh, one more feature request for said tool. Make it accept command line
> parameters instead of asking you interactively. We need both, but the
> former is pretty useful too.

Absolutely.

> Also suggest to make it generate the fdi file in $cwd and tell the user
> himself to copy it to /etc/hal/information and preferably file a bug at
> bugzilla for pm-utils and/or hal.

Yeah, getting the fdi on stdout (or with "-o filename") is probably the
preferred way.

--
  Peter