Scanners in HAL

Étienne Bersac bersace03 at laposte.net
Mon Aug 28 09:14:28 PDT 2006

Hello,

> > This is the current way, but as I understand Kay it will move
> > to be responsibility of hal.
>
> Definitely. It's completely crazy to put 500+ rules into udev just to
> assign a scanner to local group. Udev is totally the wrong
> infrastructure to do this. Also local groups without login-tracking are
> the wrong way to do such a thing.

Agree. .fdi files are far less big big than udev rules.

> You would probably want libsane to accept HAL device identifier (udi) to
> open a device.

hmm... That imply HAL on Mac OS X ? A udi<->sane-device-name wrap ?
(seems impossible to me).

> let them provide a fdi file for HAL to classify a scanner
> and deprecate the crazy udev rules file.

Ok, i'll investigate to first get a fdi file up to date, and then see
how to interact with UDI.

> You probably just want a HAL add-on, that is instantiated when such a
> device shows up, and not just another weird stand-alone daemon.

100% agree. I don't want user to see one more daemon for scanner
(especillay if they don't have scanner).

I'm very open to comments since i don't really understand HAL design.

Many thanks.

Étienne.
--
Verso l'Alto !