start to improve "lot of devices" handling

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Feb 10 06:01:00 PST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 10:55 AM, Kay Sievers wrote:
> We have a box with ~45.000 block devices (several hundred real disks)
> where hal takes 80 hours to finish handling the event queue. lshal
> takes more
> than 10 minutes before the first line is printed. These are numbers
> from
> my laptop for hald initializing and scsi_debug loaded:

This is very cool! Have you tried sysprof yet

  http://www.daimi.au.dk/~sandmann/sysprof/

it should show the sweet spots.. The really cool thing about sysprof
is that
the system-wide nature of the whole thing. Though I guess at this point
it's pretty clear where our main issues are.

Btw, I did play around with sysprof last night but I couldn't get it
to resolve
symbols. I'll try to bother Søren about it but he's in CA this week.

     David