Suspend and NetworkManager

Nigel Cunningham ncunningham at cyclades.com
Thu Jan 12 13:30:27 PST 2006

Hi.

On Thursday 12 January 2006 01:07, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:53 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> > HAL now contains methods to perform a hibernate or a suspend. GNOME
> > power manager uses these methods and probably the gnome-logout screen
> > will also call these somewhere in the near future.
> >
> > Therefore to me it seems more logical that HAL sends a generic "wake"
> > and "sleep" signal to which all applications can listen whenever
> > somebody calls the HAL methods hibernate or suspend.
>
> You need a way for the applications to delay the suspend; hence they
> need to register and ACK/NAK/delay the suspend. It's that simple.

Can you provide an example? My first inclination is to disagree and say 'If I
trigger a power management state - by whatever means - no application should
be able to say "I know better than the user. Don't do it.". Sure, I might
kill a download halfway through, but I let the battery go critical, closed
the lid or whatever. I shouldn't have to miss my bus because I was struggling
with getting my laptop to suspend. Perhaps there are exceptions, but I'm
struggling to think of one. Please help ;)

Regards,

Nigel