Suspend and NetworkManager

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jan 12 14:00:02 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 07:30 +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > You need a way for the applications to delay the suspend; hence they
> > need to register and ACK/NAK/delay the suspend. It's that simple.
>
> Can you provide an example?

Plenty:

 - NetworkManager to shut networking down
 - IRC / IM to log properly off
 - Nautilus to finish copying stuff to hotpluggable / removable drives
 - Abiword to quick-save all documents before letting go.

> My first inclination is to disagree and say 'If I
> trigger a power management state - by whatever means - no application should
> be able to say "I know better than the user. Don't do it.". Sure, I might
> kill a download halfway through, but I let the battery go critical, closed
> the lid or whatever. I shouldn't have to miss my bus because I was struggling
> with getting my laptop to suspend. Perhaps there are exceptions, but I'm
> struggling to think of one. Please help ;)

Well, there's supposed to be a timeout of 2 to 5 seconds, depending on
what caused the suspend. That's all policy that one can think a lot
about and it belongs in g-p-m I think.

Cheers,
David