Questions on physdev vs. classdev

Artem Kachitchkine Artem.Kachitchkin at Sun.COM
Tue Jan 24 13:18:48 PST 2006

> Additionally, FreeBSD doesn't register hotplug events for SCSI devices
> (e.g. disks, tapes, CD-ROMS, etc.).  What I'm doing now is upon
> detection of such a device, I add the blockdev, then fire off hotplug
> events for the various slices and partitions.  In essence, I have events
> within events.  Is this legal?

Sure, as long as your events are in correct order - branches should be
added top-down: first block device, then it's children, recursively.

Again, events that the HAL backend consumes are really an OS artifact,
all that matters to the applications is events that HAL emits in the
forme of D-BUS signals.

-Artem.