HAL 1.0?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 02:32:17 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 15:35 -0700, Brad Peters wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I understand the exported API of HAL is not necessarily going to be
> maintained until the release of version 1.0.  I'm looking at creating
> a consumer of HAL output (libhal specifically), and would really love
> to know how far off 1.0 is?  Barring info on that - what portions of
> the API are likely to change (what are the current areas of
> development), and can I rely upon the hotplug callback scheme, as well
> as the device info polling mechanisms, hanging around for awhile?

I think all that is pretty stable, the "core" design of HAL is not going
away anytime soon.
The power polling stuff, and the hotplug callbacks should not change
(unless there's a really good reason) and libhal seems pretty stable.
Certainly changing interfaces would cause untold pain due to the amount
of random stuff using libhal.

More and more stuff if being added to hal, and code internally
re-factored but nothing (as far as I know) is being removed.

I hope that answers your question, and if you need any more help, just
ask the list.

Thanks,

Richard.