Any possibility to get linux.kernel_devname?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Jul 22 08:37:56 PDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 17:55 +0200, Fabian Steiner wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am currently thinking about the possibility to write a programm that
> is able to mount USB-Sticks in an intelligent way: We have got a
> multiseat system here where several users a working on the same machine.
> Now we would like to get the USB-Sticks mounted automatically for the
> user who plugged in the stick. In order to do this we need the key
> 'kernel_devname' of the 'linux' namespace. Unfortunately, this key seems
> not to be available every time. So is there any other possibility to get
> that information using hal?

I think what you want is to use FDI files to merge properties on the USB
host adapters belonging to each seat. Say, merge

 x-info.com.mycompany.myapp.seat_number (string)

on the appropriate device object. Then your application can ascend the
device chain in HAL (via info.parent) until it sees the host adapter.

HTH,
David