memory freeing necessary?

Andre Puschmann andre.puschmann at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Tue Jul 25 08:48:13 PDT 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Indeed it is. The pattern we're trying to use is that the caller frees
> anything it callee returns unless it's explicitly marked as const. We
> also try to document this in libhal and libhal-storage, patches welcome
> to improve the documentation.

currently i am using dbus_bus_get() to get a connection. is there a
difference to dbus_connection_open()??

is this list with corresponding functions correct?
dbus_connection_open -> dbus_connection_close
libhal_ctx_new -> libhal_ctx_free
libhal_ctx_set_dbus_connection -> dbus_connection_disconnect
libhal_ctx_init -> libhal_ctx_shutdown

> Another avenue is to just not use libhal, libhal-storage but use D-BUS
> directly and then whether memory is freed is up to how the bindings for
> your language works.

first i tried to use the c api directly. but i read that using the
glib-bindings is the desired method.

i attached some my sample code .. can you please have a look at it,
since it doesn't work, dbus_g_proxy_call() always fails, i guess there
is something wrong with the path's.

> Cheers,
> David

regards