hal can't startup

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu Jul 27 02:36:45 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 16:42 +0800, qiang.wang wrote:
> Hi,
>   I compiled hal ver 0.4.2 on my system, but it can't be started up. And
> it crashed at hald.c line 480.
> sigterm_iochn = g_io_channel_unix_new(sigterm_unix_signal_pipe_fds[0]);
> It returned sigterm_iochn with NULL. I wrote a test case
> g_io_channel_unix_new works properly. The only difference is that in
> hald.c it's called in a daemon. Then i run hald as a common process,
> g_io_channel_unix_new returned a non null value. But hald doesn't work
> properly, after a minute it crashed...
>   Then i compiled a hal ver 0.4.8, it works fine on my system. While i
> looked into the source code, i found that there's nothing difference in
> the hald.c file between ver 0.4.2 and ver 0.4.8. And in the  main
> function before the line 480, there's nothing relating with the other
> part of haldaemon's code, I was totally confused about this.
>   does anyone know what's going on in it?

It's unlikely that anybody on this list runs or even remembers specifics
of this ancient version (Dec 2004) of HAL. What's your reason to stick
with that release?

Note that HAL is still only an unstable development release and changes
a lot, and we usually don't have the resources to care about these very
old versions.

Thanks,
Kay