HAL Hardware Information

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 03:19:16 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I hope this is also the development channel, I couldn't find a specific list.

I'm developing a hardware identification and report utility, looks
like I'll be learning python to boot and I'd like HAL developer
feedback on the primary ideas while I'm building it.

Client:
  * Displays a non-tree list of Hardware (not devices) listing only
physical things with a nice icon and a simple red/yellow/green LED for
compatible (Motherboard might be shown, but ALSA Timers and Power
switches wouldn't be)
 * Attempt to get updates of hardware profiles from server
  * Unknown Hardware would appear greyed
  * Allow changes to profiles, or additions where hardware is unknown
 * Allow changes to be sent to server

Server:
 * Collect all the updates and new hardware profiles
 * Have users who edit, add and publish from the updates list.
 * Web Search Interface.

Best Regards, Martin Owens