HAL Hardware Information

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 12:53:59 PDT 2006

> > I'm developing a hardware identification and report utility, looks
> > like I'll be learning python to boot and I'd like HAL developer
> > feedback on the primary ideas while I'm building it.
>
> Maybe the source to lshal might be a good start. g-p-m also has some
> nice glib bindings to hal if you like.

Yes I've been looking at and using the gnome device manager as a
reference because the HAL/DBus tutorials seem to crash python out cold
(kill -9 job)

> > Client:
> >   * Displays a non-tree list of Hardware (not devices) listing only
> > physical things with a nice icon and a simple red/yellow/green LED for
> > compatible (Motherboard might be shown, but ALSA Timers and Power
> > switches wouldn't be)
> >  * Attempt to get updates of hardware profiles from server
> >   * Unknown Hardware would appear greyed
> >   * Allow changes to profiles, or additions where hardware is unknown
> >  * Allow changes to be sent to server
> >
> > Server:
> >  * Collect all the updates and new hardware profiles
> >  * Have users who edit, add and publish from the updates list.
> >  * Web Search Interface.
>
> Is this scalable? Imagine 50,000 people asking a single server for
> hardware info. Otherwise seems sane.

I image a few things, firstly that the list of hardware would be
available on many mirrors. the service of sending in information could
be held on more than one machine too by means of batch store and send
to parent, this would incur a slight delay but since input would be
administered and we would need more administrators the more creations
or modifications we get too. so it might be worth having an easy way
to join.

> Richard.

Best Regards Martin Owens