Using multi-purpose devices

Michael Monreal infernux at web.de
Mon Jun 19 10:23:41 PDT 2006

> The only effect AFAIK of tagging the storage device with memory_stick is
> only to get the right icon.
Well, the memory stick was right because this actually *is* a memory stick drive inside the phone. Not nautilus displays a generic DAP device, which is... well, not really fitting. I think using mobile phones as both a camera and a music player is very common, so what about introducing a new device type "mobile_phone" or something like that to allow nautilus to display a phone icon? Would this be a simple change or do other packages (beside the actual icon in the icon theme) need patching, too? Should I file a HAL bug for this?

> The sole reason g-v-m asked you about photos was because it saw a DCIM/
> folder on the actual volume (can you confirm this?).
Yes, there is a DCIM folder.

> So this is a bug with g-v-m. In the event it sees both photos (via the
> DCIM/ folder) and the fact it's a DAP it should prompt what action you
> want. Suggest to file a bug against g-v-m in the GNOME bugzilla; please
> paste the bug number here. Thanks.
Filed as # 345335.

Cheers,
-Michael