hal-sharp / libhal C# bindings

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Mar 16 08:59:14 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 11:40 -0500, Aaron Bockover wrote:
> My main reason for going the libhal route for the bindings was that
> dbus-sharp were immature, and will be replaced with a new version in the
> future that uses generics. When dbus-sharp was started DBus itself was
> immature, and as it grew, the bindings basically started to rot.

Yup, that makes sense.

> The API for hal-sharp doesn't need to change, but when the time is
> right, the implementation can switch to DBus.

I guess this needs HAL to do introspection, right? But, eh, we want HAL
to do that anyway at some point.

> So if you think it should be in HAL CVS, then I'm down for moving it.

Sounds good to me; personally I'm eager to get my hands dirty with C#
and Mono in general. Ideally, and to make this easy for distributors,
I'd like us to distribute this in the hal tarballs... so we should put
the code in libhal/sharp, yes? Or maybe there's a convention for this
already? We do need some checks in configure to make sure it builds when
mono is not available though.

Btw, there's a module called hal-sharp here

 http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/hal/hal-sharp/

but it's almost two years old and I've never used it since I only had
mono available to me for a few months :-)

Cheers,
David