Regarding USB

Chakkaradeep C C chaks.yoper at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 10:52:42 PST 2006

Hi all,

On 3/23/06, Chakkaradeep C C <chaks.yoper at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kevin and all,
>
> On 3/23/06, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Le Mercredi 22 Mars 2006 19:42, Chakkaradeep C C a écrit :
> > > Yoper is pure KDE version, and thats the reason i think i may end up
> > in
> > > some complexities in building gnome-volume-manager.
> >
> > There's support for notifications when a device is plugged since KDE 3.5.
> > Are
> > you using something older in Yoper?
>

> Yoper uses KDE 3.5.0. KDE 3.5.1 is in the devel version.What we are trying
> to implement is here -->
> http://www.yoper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Developers:Configuring_Devices
>
> We are also looking to write a similar program which monitors for hardware
> device getting attached and detached..and do respectively what we
> program...like if it is USB Mass Storage - mount or leave etc.,

i posted this mail to linux-hotplug mailing list but i havent even recieved
a single reply :(, so am posting  it here ...i have finally written an udev
rule to perform some action when usb gets added...here is the rule,

BUS=="usb", ACTION=="add", NAME="usb%n", RUN+="/usr/bin/mount-usb.sh usb%n"

The problem am facing is with the %n value. I want this value passed to the
script so that i can easily identify the device created as /dev/usb%n and i
can mount /media/usb%n. But the %n  value is null in NAME and 1 in RUN for
my thumbdrive. By default, my thumbdrive gets created in /dev/sda if this
rule is excluded and no further partitions as this is the only one.

how to overcome this?

thanks in advance...

Regards.

--