/dev/hdb1 volume shown on destop after upgrade

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Sun Mar 26 23:32:00 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 11:41:09AM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 16:16 +0100, vitko wrote:
> > After last upgrade of my Debian (Sid) new hal 0.5.7 arrived.
> >
> > I was surprised to see new 60 GB volume icon on my desktop,
> > it is /dev/hdb1, referenced in /etc/fstab like
> >
> >     $ grep data /etc/fstab
> >     /dev/hdb1   /mnt/data   xfs   defaults   0   2
> >
> > Maybe it is some Gnome magic
>
> Under certain conditions gnome-vfs-daemon will show entries
> from /etc/fstab but I think it requires the user, users or pam_console
> option to be present.
>
> > and not a hal issue,
>
> hal does not modify your /etc/fstab anymore (I never think it did on
> Debian by default) and I doubt sjoerd put in stuff in the Debian package
> to do this. Sjoerd would know though.

Correct. The big change for debian with 0.5.7 was the fact that the probers are
now run as root (thanks to hald-runner), so hal actually knows about your
internal drives now. The only thing we change to the user-visible policy of
gnome-vfs in debian is that all volumes under /media are marked visible, but
that doesn't help here..

So i'm not sure why the icon is showing up. The only thing i can think of is
that on hal upgrade strange things can happen as gnome-vfs doesn't (yet?) cope
with a hal restart. Which you can easily test by killing gnome-vfs-daemon and
nautilus (gnome-session will restart them automagically)

If that doesn't help, please file a bug against gnome-vfs in debian's
bug-tracking system and we'll see if we can track it down.

  Sjoerd
--
"Consider a spherical bear, in simple harmonic motion..."
		-- Professor in the UCB physics department