The HAL Spec

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon May 8 09:41:44 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 12:06 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>  1. I really dunno if it's helpful having a separate spec document
>     because we all (myself in particular) suck at updating it. Maybe
>     it would be useful to have a self-documenting scheme a'la gconf
>     where the description of the property is just meta-data for the
>     property but that is a bit far out

I think hal-spec.xml.in should be broken up into little, easy to add
sections;

for example:

property-info.xml
property-linux.xml
property-pci.xml
property-serialif.xml
property-usb.xml
property-usbif.xml
property-platform.xml
property-ide-host.xml
property-ide.xml
property-scsi_host.xml
property-scsi.xml
property-ieee1394_host.xml
property-ieee1394_node.xml
property-ieee1394.xml
property-mmc_host.xml
property-mmc.xml
property-ccw.xml
property-ccwgroup.xml
property-iucv.xml
property-block.xml
property-volume.xml
property-kernel.xml
property-volume-disc.xml
property-storage.xml
property-storage-cdrom.xml
property-net.xml
property-net-80203.xml
property-net-80211.xml
property-input.xml
property-pcmcia_socket.xml
property-printer.xml
property-portable_audio_player.xml
property-alsa.xml
property-oss.xml
property-camera.xml
property-laptop-panel.xml
property-ac_adaptor.xml
property-battery.xml
property-button.xml
property-processor.xml
property-display_device.xml
property-sensor.xml
property-power-management.xml
property-tape.xml
property-storage-policy-default.xml
property-storage-policy.xml
property-volume-policy.xml

Then we can easy match up what we've done and fix the spec section by
section (ripping out the old bits too).

David, if you agree this is the best route forward, I would be happy to
start splitting up the hal-spec.xml.in file (exams finish on Thursday --
Woo!)

Richard.