The HAL Spec

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 8 09:46:30 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 17:41 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 12:06 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >  1. I really dunno if it's helpful having a separate spec document
> >     because we all (myself in particular) suck at updating it. Maybe
> >     it would be useful to have a self-documenting scheme a'la gconf
> >     where the description of the property is just meta-data for the
> >     property but that is a bit far out
>
> I think hal-spec.xml.in should be broken up into little, easy to add
> sections;
>
> for example:

<snip>

> Then we can easy match up what we've done and fix the spec section by
> section (ripping out the old bits too).

This is way too fine-grained for my taste; how about a division where
it's

 - introduction
 - physical namespaces
 - functional namespaces

and maybe a bit more; something like 4-5 files is the maximum before it
gets too complicated for me. Suggestions?

> David, if you agree this is the best route forward, I would be happy to
> start splitting up the hal-spec.xml.in file (exams finish on Thursday --
> Woo!)

That would be much appreciated! Good luck on the exams!

    David