Video PM Methods

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Tue May 16 14:33:04 PDT 2006

Richard Hughes wrote:
>> Oh - and some machines will only resume from RAM when running on VGA console
>> or vga16fb, but not on vesafb or any other framebuffer, many newer DELLs and
>> HPs with ATI cards are prominent examples.
>
> Hmm.. how do we work round this other than setting vga= stuff on the
> kernel command line?

Moreover, this can't really be fixed. vesa16fb and vgacon are both
extremely limited compared to vesafb. So, forcing people to use them
will severely cut into the usefulness of having the framebuffer there in
the first place (on x86, at least).

Does anyone know if it's just a rePOSTing issue or something? Could it
really not be rectified in the kernel?

The other evolving problem is that many newer (especially nVidia) cards
don't support vesafb at all, and the more-hardware-specific framebuffers
aren't as kind to power management.

--Pat