Video PM Methods

Stefan Seyfried seife at suse.de
Tue May 16 22:47:33 PDT 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:33:04PM -0400, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> >>Oh - and some machines will only resume from RAM when running on VGA
> >>console
> >>or vga16fb, but not on vesafb or any other framebuffer, many newer DELLs
> >>and
> >>HPs with ATI cards are prominent examples.
> >
> >Hmm.. how do we work round this other than setting vga= stuff on the
> >kernel command line?

> Does anyone know if it's just a rePOSTing issue or something? Could it
> really not be rectified in the kernel?

At least the DELLs just reboot instead of resuming, AFAICS before ever
handing control back to the kernel. The OS they were designed for is not
using a framebuffer console :-)

> The other evolving problem is that many newer (especially nVidia) cards
> don't support vesafb at all, and the more-hardware-specific framebuffers
> aren't as kind to power management.

But those could be, they need to know about the hardware and could implement
power management stuff. This is a "fix the driver" issue.
--
Stefan Seyfried                  \ "I didn't want to write for pay. I
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices      \ wanted to be paid for what I write."