VideoAdapterPM.SuspendVideo

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 09:44:45 PDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 10:49 +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> Anyway, as I understand now, pm-utils calls hall to suspend the video
> cards. But what happened to: "hal depends on pm-utils, not the other way
> around"? This way pm-utils is less generic then promised; you can't
> usefully get the machine to sleep without hal.

You can. You can simply add one file (either specific or generic) to the
hooks directory to perform video suspend and/or resume.

It's probably best the file to do the video resume via hal is moved to
the hal project and is then installed into pm-utils hooks, so that you
only get the hal hook is you have hal installed.

> BTW, I think you're aware of suspend.sf.net, there they have some more
> options to get the graphics card to behave.
>
>     -s, --vbe_save:   save VBE state before suspending and restore
> 	after resume.
>     -p, --vbe_post:   VBE POST the graphics card after
> 	resume
>     -m, --vbe_mode:   get VBE mode before suspend and set it after
> 	resume
>     -r, --radeontool: turn off the backlight on radeons before
> 	suspending.
>     -a, --acpi_sleep: set the acpi_sleep parameter before
> 	suspend 1=s3_bios, 2=s3_mode, 3=both

These can all be used in the hook thing I was talking about above. This
stuff should all "just work" tho - my girlfriend doesn't know what model
her graphics chip is, even less what ACPI and VBE mean.

Richard.