HDAPS

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 15:06:25 PDT 2006

Guys,

HDAPS[1] (hard disk "drop" protection) is available in lots of new
kernels for lots of new laptops.

To activate this, there is currently hdapsd[2] (a very small,
unmaintained IMO hacky program) to monitor a
hardcoded /sys/block/xxxx/queue/protect file, and if the acceleration is
above a certain level, it parks the heads.

Now, I can see this implemented properly as an addon, only being
launched when we have a new harddisk with HDAPS support, one addon per
disk (tiny). Disks would also have the capability "hdaps_sensor".

Addon would have one method SetSensitivity() and two signals
HDAPS-activated (bool) and HDAPS-motion (int) (or something).

This lets us park the heads to save the disk, and we can also use the
motion signal to act as some sort of motion alarm / desktop lock in the
desktop context.

Sound sane / insane? Comments?

Richard.

[1] http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/HDAPS