Hal and fuse filesystem support

Martin Pitt martin at piware.de
Fri Oct 6 00:40:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

David Zeuthen [2006-10-05 22:37 -0400]:
> This sounds like a file system driver / pmount bug to me.

Indeed it is. The official pmount does not currently support fuse and
similar. I have bug reports open about that, but it won't happen for
Ubuntu 6.10 (RC freeze is in a few days).

> I think the pmount stuff and/or the Ubuntu GNOME uses eject(8) by
> default instead of just unmounting (which is very silly IMO),
> perhaps that's why.

To be precise, pmount does not, but we configured our hal FDIs to
eject removable devices, so that gnome-vfs ejects them instead of
unmounting (through the hal backend). That's exactly the right thing
for USB/Firewire drives to power them off properly (otherwise iPods
and other devices will whine to not remove them yet).

Of course fuse mounts etc. should not be ejected. So Florent's problem
is due to his specific pmount patch.

We are aware of the missing support for fuse/ntfs-3g/etc. and we'll
address it properly in the next release.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?