Hal and fuse filesystem support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 6 05:25:10 PDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 09:40 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> To be precise, pmount does not, but we configured our hal FDIs to
> eject removable devices, so that gnome-vfs ejects them instead of
> unmounting (through the hal backend). That's exactly the right thing
> for USB/Firewire drives to power them off properly (otherwise iPods
> and other devices will whine to not remove them yet).

It is true that some devices such as iPod's and some other music players
should be issued the eject command. We match for this and sets the
storage.requires_eject property and client apps, such as gnome-vfs, can
do the right thing

 http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players.fdi

So all you do by ejecting every device plugged into USB or Firewire is

 1. mask the problem - e.g. by ejecting everything, which is wrong, we
    miss valuable bug reports on what to actually eject; and

 2. fundamentally changes how Ubuntu works compared to other
    distributions - e.g. unmounting a device makes all the partitions go
    away (that's the semantics of eject) and this will break
    partitioning tools that use e.g. gnome-vfs to unmount the device.

    Pretty sure it's weird for users too. Users should except to be able
    to mount a device after they've unmounted it. They can't do this if
    you eject the device because the partitions go away.

So is it possible to you can stop this? Thanks.

    David