[BUG] : hdd led blinks constantly

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Oct 31 16:07:43 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 14:31 +0100, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:18:17AM +0100, neologix at free.fr wrote:
> > Hi.
> > Well, the fact is that Redmond's OS, for example, doesn't do that.
> > So it must be a hal issue, not an hardware one.

Don't rule out the (Linux) kernel. It does some pretty funky stuff.

> Uhm, no. There a things Windows typically does and things that hal/linux
> typically do. The fact that hal/linux does something different doesn't mean
> it's buggy or an issue. It just means that your hardware might behave different
> then what your used to on Windows.
>
> Now one thing that hal does and Windows doesn't is that it checks if your cdrom
> eject button was pressed. Which might cause the blink on your system.

Yea, and if it does... it's either something broken with the kernel
and/or the hardware. If it's not a kernel bug we can consider adding
some quirk properties to prevent HAL from issuing the "check for eject
pressed" raw SCSI command. And then also carry whitelist / blacklist for
these.

> My TODO includes making a small program which does the checking the same way as
> hal so i can check this theory.  If someone wants to beat me to it, please do,
> i'm rather short on time these days :)

It would be useful to store small utilities like this in the HAL tree.

    David